Winter on Long Island can be magical but with cold temperatures and snow accumulation, we want to make sure we always stay safe during a snow storm. Be sure to check out these blizzard tips and important contact numbers to help you prepare for a winter storm.
- Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio or other local news channels for critical information on snow storms and blizzards from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Avoid driving when conditions include sleet, freezing rain or drizzle, snow or dense fog. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle.
- Before tackling strenuous tasks in cold temperatures, consider your physical condition, the weather factors and the nature of the task.
- Protect yourself from frostbite and hypothermia by wearing warm, loose-fitting, lightweight clothing in several layers. Stay indoors, if possible.
Weather Related Emergency Numbers
- PSEG Long Island (LIPA)
To report an outage: 800.490.0075 or Text “OUT” to 773454
- Nassau County Office of Emergency Management
- Suffolk County Office of Emergency Management
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- American Red Cross
- National Weather Service
Non-Emergency Phone Numbers
- Nassau non-emergency hotline:
- Suffolk non-emergency hotline:
Please Dial 911 for Police & Medical Emergencies